On the farm:
- Fishing – The farm has 2 large dams – one trout dam stocked with a fisherman’s delight of Rainbow Trout and a second mixed dam stocked with bass, carp and trout. We encourage catch and release but you are welcome to keep your catch if you wish. We operate on an honour system with trout and ask R150 per kg to help us maintain stocking levels. PLEASE NOTE – STRICTLY FLY FISHING IN THE TROUT DAM. Rod rental available – R100 per day. Enquire about kiddies fishing.
- Mountain biking – Bring your own bikes. Theres a approximately 4km’s of road and 15km’s of nature trails for the more adventurous as well as an old quarry. Enquire at the farm house.
- Nature walks – Approximately 15km’s of nature trails all mapped out with sign boards. The map is in your cottage Info book. There’s a stream to walk to which is beautiful as well as the popular “Top of the World” rock.
- Game viewing – Zebra, Red Hartebeest and Blesbok roam the back of the farm as well as many hares and migrant jackals although more difficult to spot. We have also seen Civet, Duiker and Vervet monkeys on the farm and you are likely to see the neighbour’s Black Wildebeest and Springbok across the fence.
- Bird watching – There are plenty of bird species and we are proud to say that we have a resident Fish Eagle. People have seen rare species here for the “Life Lists”.
- Archery (bring your own bow and arrows). We have the bud’s.
- Swimming (small splash pool at the Lapa and a small pool at the stream)
- Hang out at the Lapa – Braai facilities, boma and a small splash pool (with donkey) for all guests to enjoy. It has a sink for washing up and toilets.theres a cupboard at the lapa with lawn games such as Swing-Ball and French Bowls. We do have enamel plates, bowls and cups available if you would prefer not to take your crockery from the cottages.
- Go find the TREASURE – For the kiddies we have a private treasure hunt on the farm (within boundry fences). You will find the clues in this info book. A lot of fun!!
- Go find a Geo-Cache – There are Geo-Caches in the area (not on Woolly Bugger Property so you many need to drive there)
- Have a picnic. Picnic baskets are available from Riverman Cabin across the road. Please enquire in advance.
- 4 x 4ing – For the more adventurous an old quarry is situated on a remote section of the farm where 4×4 or motor cross bikes are welcome to enjoy themselves.
- Sundowners at Top of the World – The BIG rock more fondly known as ‘Top of the world’ is an amazing viewing spot. You can drive up (HIGH CLEARANCE VEHICLES ONLY) or walk – its about 2.5kms away from the Farm House. Please note it does get cold up there with the wind so take a jacket!!
In the area:
Mine View (across the road) has a restaurant and pub and big screen tv’s for sport enthusiasts. They also have a driving range where you can hire equipment. Call Percy or Karin on 087 751 3294.
You will also be able to watch the game at Highside Tavern in Tonteldoos and enjoy good pub food – possibly the best burger in Mpumalanga. Highside Tavern is a country pub with a bike theme – theres a FREE adventure biking outride every first Saturday of the month and it proves to be a lot of fun with a great group of people. Call Peter on 082 867 4347.
The Cat and the Cow is open on most days and provides an idyllic setting offering tea, coffee, breakfast and lunch. Call Margaret on 083 445 5037.
Paintball @ Glen Lochlan – Tanya and Ally have a paint ball arena on their farm – between two koppies and in a small valley. Bookings are essential. Games last 1.5hrs @ R200 pp. This includes the paintball gun, 150 balls, full face masks and overalls (you would wear over your clothes). Group size is 2 – 10 pax. Extra balls are available and arrangements can be made if you want to take your own equipment. Bring a cooller box – Loads of fun!! Book via whatsapp. Tanya – 082 884 0066 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Flintlock Grange – Helen Malherbe hosts various workshops from her home in Tonteldoos. They are over a full weekend and she has the pros come out and teach you the skills you need to take home and do it yourself. Learn candle making, landscaping, photography, cheese making, pasta making and much much more! Like our page on facebook for when the workshops are held. Helen – 082 259 3496
Horseback Riding – Margaret does guided horseback riding through Tonteldoos. Bookings are essential. Call Margaret on 083 445 5037
Most places are pet friendly and perfect for families.
The Thirsy Walrus – Tonteldoos has a VERY basic convenience store and a bottle store. You will need to do your grocery shopping in the bigger cities.